Wednesday 6 June 2012

D.I.Y. - Tiny Crochet Cosy for Upcycle Glass Bottles and Jars – English Version


D.I.Y. - Tiny Crochet Cosy for Upcycle Glass Bottles and Jars
- free pattern designed by Sara Arts - 
(This free pattern is in English, click here for the italian version)

As you see from the picture there are two bottles: big and small. So I am going to dress both.

If your bottles are not similar, do not mind, I will tell you later how to arrange the pattern. Let's start...

STEP 1-  I take the measures. The info I collect help me to see  that the diameter of both tops is 5 cm and the bottoms are around 7 cm.  My bottles are large quite the same.

STEP 2 – I start with the big bottle. Here how to start and check if the work fits perfectly the bottom of the bottle


Yarn: wool (75% wool, 25% polyamide)   
Hook number:  2.5

Stitches used: Chain (ch) ; double chain (dc) ; single crochet (sc); slip stitch (sl st) ; skip (sk); alternate (alt)

Round 1: ch 4 join with sl st in top of the beginning ch
Round 2: ch 3 ( counts as dc here and throughout) , 2dc in ring , [ch 2, 3dc in ring] 3 times , ch 2, join with sl st in third ch of beginning ch 3.
Round 3: ch 5, [ (3dc, ch 2, 3dc) in ring, 2ch] 3 times, (3 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ring, join with sl st in third ch of the beginning ch 5.
Round 4: (ch 3, 2dc,ch 2, 3dc) in ring , [ch 2, 3dc in ring, ch 2, (3dc, ch2, 3dc)in ring] 3 times , ch 2, 3dc in ring, ch 2, join with sl st in third ch of beginning ch 3.

Now it is time to check  the work and the bottle bottom. It is 7 cm bright so the base of the cosy is done. If your bottle sizes are different that mine, just adjust the work at this point. Stop at the third round or carry on with one more round.



STEP 3  – I start the body of the bottle. I do not increase anymore, just follow the pattern and switch between  round 5 and 6 till the work length matches the top of the bottle. 

Round 5: ch 5, [ 3dc in ring, ch 2, 3dc in ring, 2ch] 11 times, 3 dc in ring, ch 2, 2 dc, join with sl st in third ch of the beginning ch 5.
Round 6: ch 3, 2dc in ring , [ch 2, 3dc in ring] 11 times , ch 2, join with sl st in third ch of beginning ch 3.

I make 23 rounds till the top of my big bottle.



Note: The diameter of my bottle decrease at one point, I do not care about it. The pattern fits its design well, as you can see in the picture.



STEP 4 – Finishing: I crochet a sort of garnishment. 

If I stop STEP 3 following Round 6 pattern, I continue like this.
Round 7: [ch 3, 3sc in ring] 12 times, join with sl st in first ch of the beginning ch 3.
Round 8: ch 1, 5sc in ring,  join with sl st in the second sc of the round 7 3sc,  [ 6sc in ring, join with sl st in the second sc of the round 7 3sc] 11 times, join with sl st in the beginning ch1.

If I need to change the length of the cozy and finish following Round 5 pattern. I continue like this:
Round 7: ch 1, 2sc in ring,  [ ch 3, 3sc in ring ] 11 times, ch 3, join with sl st in the beginning ch 1.
Round 8:  2 sl st in the first and second sc of the round 7 3sc, [6sc in ring, join with sl st in the second sc of the round 7, ch 3] 11 times, 6sc in ring, join with sl st in the first sl st od  beginning 2 sl st.



STEP 5 – It is time to make the cap cover.  I will realize it with a sort of fabric backside, it makes sense because it works better fixed with glu at the metal cap..

First of all I work at the crocheted side. I use the same yarn and hook as STEP 2. The stiches used are also the same.

Round 1: ch 15 join with sl st in top of the beginning ch
Round 2: ch 3 ( counts as dc here and throughout) , 2dc in ring , [ch 2, 3dc in ring] 9 times , ch 2, join with sl st in third ch of beginning ch 3.
Round 3: ch 5, [ 3dc in ring, ch 2] 9 times, 2 dc in ring, join with sl st in third ch of the beginning ch 5.
Round 4: ch 1, 2sc in ring,  [ ch 3, 3sc in ring ] 9 times, ch 3, join with sl st in the beginning ch 1.
Round 5:  2 sl st in the first and second sc of the round 7 3sc, [6sc in ring, join with sl st in the second sc of the round 7 3sc] 9 times, 6sc in ring, join with sl st in the first sl st od  beginning 2 sl st.


Note: If you need to arrange the pattern with new measures. You can follow the same method as STEP 4. Here Round 3 correspont at Round 5 in STEP 3 and you have just to follow the tips at STEP 4.

Once finish with the crochet pattern I cut a round of cotton fabric, more or less 1 cm bigger in diameter than the cap. I sew the border with a zig zag stich, but it is just my care and no needed. And I check if the crocheted work and the round of fabrics fit the cap.


STEP 6 – I join the fabric and the crocheted work with pins and sew by hand: first the ring in the middle and then the border


STEP 7 – I fix with glu the cap cover. I use common water glu and elastics to be sure the fabric join the cap specially the borders


Now my Big bottle cosy is done. I have still the small one to do. The Steps to follow are the same, just I need to make some changes where required:

STEP 1  – I compare  the small bottle measures with the big one.
STEP 2  – The small bottle bottom diameter is 6.5 cm instead 7 cm of the big one. I follow exatly the same pattern.
STEP 3  – The small bottle is 13 cm heigth. I crochet following the same pattern till the 14th round.
STEP 4 – no changes
STEP 5,6,7 – I check the cap cover with both caps. It works! I do not need change

The tiny  crocheted cosies are done. Now it is time to garnish them.

Here my final result:   
Miss Marple and the little Dorothy.




***If you use this tutorial to make your own cozies, I would love to see them!!!
add a quick pic to my group on Flickr! ***

***please note that this tutorial is for PERSONAL USE ONLY, not for commercial use. 
Thank you!***



*** If you have a blog, web space or whatever  and  like to share your works made following this  tutorial, please credit  the pattern to Sara Arts - sara-artstudio.blogspot.com
Link with Love and Respect!!! Thanks!!!***

 
See You
Xx
Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks to take your time and send me a comment. I will replay to you soon, come back and read my message.

If you like you may follow Sara Arts also via Facebook and Google+, join me and be connect. Help each other to spread out our love for Creativity and Arts!!!

If you are a blogger too, I look forward to have a tour in your "little world".
I love to hear from you!!!!

Xx
Sara Arts

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...